Navigating Perimenopause & Promoting Books: A Journey of Challenges & Unphotogenic Tales

Navigating Perimenopause and Promoting Books: A Journey of Crazy Hormones, Challenges, and Unphotogenic Tales of Cristina Gherghel, 

This is how I feel today. See this picture? 

woman screaming and pulling her blonde hair
October 22


Today is a lot worse, and I do look horrible. I don't have the courage to take a picture. It would scare you to death. My hair is no longer blonde (or orangy); it's black... or dark with white sprinkles. Yes. 

It's an extreme change since October 22 when that picture was taken while I was vlogging on my Romanian YouTube channel (click, if interested - if you understand Romanian, or my accent. Moldavian that is.).

Yes, I tried that too, vlogging I mean. And I will do it again in English as well, just not at this moment. 

I am exhausted. Promoting myself and my work, specifically my hybrid book for women titled "iPERIMENOPAUSE: The Latest Upgrade to the Operating System of My Life - Malfunction: Hormonal Mayhem," which is set to release on June 3rd, guess what?

It worries me a lot. I'm investing money in advertising campaigns, press releases, and other promotional efforts. Will I be able to earn it back? 

I am a writer; my brain is filled with stories—endless plots, characters, and empowering ideas to inspire people.

Speaking about myself as an author and my books is hard for me. You see, as I've said many times, I am a humble person. I have this intrinsic temptation to put myself down, and my own mind sabotages me.

The reason I am going against my nature is that I need to make a living. I don't know how many of my books you have read, whether it's the ones signed with Cristina G. or the new ones I signed with my full name, Cristina Gherghel (starting from 2022).

Regardless of how many or if any, you have read, you might have realized that I don't write for glory or notoriety. No. I write out of passion, but, man, I have to pay my bills.

This is serious business for me.
I mean, it should be serious business, but I am learning. 

I have no idea if you understand how difficult it is for any author to get noticed.
From afar and outside, it might look simple and straightforward, but from the inside, trust me, the book publishing business is a shark's land.

Since I changed my author name from Cristina G. to Cristina Gherghel, I had to set up social network accounts with my full name.

Ironically, to help me in that regard, Facebook has blocked me and deleted two of my pages because... well, because I am trying to impersonate another person.
I worked so hard on them, even gathered… three fans, and then bam, I couldn't get in.

I had no idea why because they didn't even bother to send me an email. I thought it was a bug, so I cleared the cookies, looked for solutions online, changed several browsers.

When nothing worked, it hit me: "Bastards, they must have blocked me." Duh! 

Hours wasted when I should be promoting my books. I am yet to remake the hardcover or paperback cover of this book that comes out tomorrow!
I sent them my ID and other pictures (as per their request). 
No luck. Cristina Gherghel is not recognized as me. No matter what evidence I provide, it is not me. It doesn't even look like me.

No kidding. In my IDs, I look like a man. I am dead serious. I am terribly unphotogenic.
You wouldn't say so by looking at these pictures that I make public, right?
No, I know.

I take thousands of selfies, yes, just to find one where I look decent. It seems like I have a talent for not looking directly at the objective, but trust me, it's not intentional. The camera on my phone seems to have developed a special skill of avoiding eye contact. It's like my phone has a personal vendetta against capturing my best angles.

Okay, okay, these are great. Better than I look, I admit. But it's still me. There are some vintage filters on a few, but not an excessive amount that makes your skin look like you're 15.

I am 48, yes, but as an author, I can't just publish pictures in which I look like my mother. In fact, I wish I looked like my beloved mother when I'm her age. 

Dreams, my friend, dreams. If I keep feeling like screaming for long while trying to make a name for myself, book lovers will read my books when I am a ghost's lunch. 

Check her out—she's 85!!! 

elderly woman blowing a kiss
My mother blows kisses like a diva. Love her to bits! 

By the way, I have been trying for 15 minutes to insert my mom's picture, but for some reason, Brave kept sending it to the bottom of the page. I mean, I have been a blogger for more than a decade. I know what to do. 
But when browsers and technology decide to play tricks on me and make even the most basic tasks challenging, it can be frustrating. It is infuriating. I am perimenopausal. Everything infuriates me. Even flies. Especially flies! 

Anyway, where was I?
Ah, yes.
Why do I look like I'm about to demolish the world with my screams of frustration?
Because it's incredibly hard for a creative mind to do these things. It doesn't come naturally, on the contrary.
I am used to doing things that are hard, that go against my nature, but this... this goes above my limits.
But I am doing my best, and one day, my friend, you will hear about my name somehow.
Hopefully not in an obituary press release, or whatever they are called.

How am I supposed to connect with my readers when I don't have the time?
Do you know that an indie author writes a book and then spends years promoting that book?

It's insane.
My fingers are itchy, my books are calling me in the night.
I swear, I wake up with my heart pounding every night, and I am all drenched. Hot!

Oh, yes, it's the menopause! Or the perimenopause in my case. 
But you can't blame a woman for hoping to pass through this natural stage in which everything fluctuates—hormones, moods, financial situations... I wish. The last one stays put. No gain, just pain.
I woke up at 6:30 am, usually aiming for 7 (I go to bed @midnight). 
A TV at high volume did it this morning. I opened my eyes, all sweaty, barely able to breathe, feeling confused... I couldn't understand what that noise was. 
For five minutes, I lay in bed wondering, "Am I still asleep? What the heck is that? Where is it coming from?"

My neighbors, of course. Wonderful people. They must have thought, "Yes, let's turn the TV on at 5 and scare the hell out of this solitary spinster and her stray cat. 
" Thank you, I appreciate the thought. I need to work, so I'm not exactly complaining. 
Well, at least not in the conventional sense of the word. No. 
I always transform negatives into positives. Even if there are no positives, I invent them. 
In this case, though, it was good. I am way behind schedule in promoting my book on perimenopause.

Anyway, it is what it is. I hope you check out my new author page and my book. 
If you don't... well, I cannot force you. 
But it would help me stay sane... maybe, just a bit.
Thanks for stopping by, as usual, it's been a privilege. I truly mean it.

Cheerio! 

emoticon Smile holding a heart

Thank you so much for taking the time to dive into my words. It's been an absolute privilege to entertain your curious mind. 

Now, if you've got an insatiable appetite for reading books books for free and review them for fun, I've got an offer that will make your literary taste buds tingle! 

Check my Amazon author profile by clicking here. Choose a book then... 

Simply give me a shout through the contacting form, and I'll send you an electronic version of the book that tickles your fancy. 

You can ask for as many as you like. 

Remember, your reviews are like the sprinkles on top of my writing sundae, so I eagerly await your witty thoughts and captivating feedback. Let's spread the joy of reading together!

P.S. Don't forget to bring your sense of humor along for the ride. 

Gear up for an exciting and humor-laden excursion!

Post a Comment

In a world of negativity, critics, war, and sadness, be an author of positivity, spreading smiles and hugs like a joyful warrior!
PS: If you have something you'd like to share with me privately, please utilize the contact form. Thank you for your valuable time and thoughtful consideration.

Previous Post Next Post